My lovely Blogger followers!

Thursday 9 June 2011

Quixotic Paperie 2nd birthday celebrations - SCACD spotlight and flower tutorial!

As part of the Quixotic Paperie 2nd Anniversary celebrations this month, we are throwing the spotlight on some of the fantastic stamp companies in stock!  First in the spotlight are SCACD Stamps!  And as well as doing a spotlight, I have a little tutorial on making my flowers!

SCACD Stamps is run by the lovely Susana of Susana's Custom Art & Card Design in the US.  The SCACD Stamps range is available in the UK exclusively at Quixotic Paperie.

There are three fab artists in the current range from SCACD Stamps - Carmen Medlin, Elisabeth Bell and Victoria Case, each with a different style.

  


As part of the celebrations and the spotlight today, we have a PRIZE GIVEAWAY!  Pop on over to the Quixotic Inspirations blog to get all the details and enter the draw to win some fantastic SCACD Stamps and more!

ALSO - until midnight on Sunday 12th June you can enjoy 10% off the SCACD Stamps range (does not stack with existing offers).

Now, on to the inspiration!  Some of the Quixotic Paperie Design Team have SCACD creations to show you today, and we also have some special guests from the SCACD Stamps Design Team!

This isn't a hop - feel free to dip in and out of the list of designers in whichever order you fancy!



Here is my card spotlighting Carmen Medlin for SCACD 1st Signs of Spring...

 
 
   
I think this little lady is soooo beautiful!  I matched her up with papers from the Prima Madeline paper pad and for the sentiment I used the Whimsy Ticket Sentiment with the Whimsy Shapeology ticket die.  And aren't those flowers gorgeous?  I used 6mm pearl beads for the flower centres.  As many of you know, I usually use the My Favorite Things rolled flower dies but I found these Marianne D Creatables Chinese Rose dies are much easier to use!  And as promised, here is my tutorial on making them - I'll try to keep it short!


So first, here are the tools I use..




Hopefully it's self explanatory enough not to list them!  The first step is to cut out the shapes using your usual die machine (I use my Grand Caliber so I can do them all in one go!)...


 

The last two photo shows how I've tightly crumpled up one of the papers so I can show you a shabby chic flower.  I've seen some people crumple up the paper after they've die cut the paper but I find I tend to rip it!  So onto making a flower.

Onto making the flower.  As you can see below, you take the end of a thin paint brush and place it at the end of the die cut flower and begin to tightly roll it round onto itself.  I use my right hand thumb to push it along and keep my left hand fingers still to give it stability.  Keep the die cut flower behind your hand so you can clearly see what you're doing...



Once you get to the end, take out out the paintbrush and you can see that the round end of the die cut flower becomes the base onto which you glue the flower on...



Now at this point, you will have a tightly wound flower.  If you want it looser, simply slowly release your hold and it will unwind itself.  The more you release the hold, the bigger the flower will be.  Once you are happy with the size, squeeze some wet glue (I use Glossy Accents) onto the round and then press the flower onto it.  Hold it down until it sticks on its own and then leave it for the glue to dry fully...



And voila!  Here are the flowers with the shabby chic one on the far right...



 Finish it off with your chosen embellishment - I love using my pearl beads and I glue them with Glossy Accents as it dries clear.



As usual, if you have any questions or can share any tips on how you make your flowers, please leave a comment!  Thanks for your patience and for joining us, we hope you enjoyed checking out SCACD Stamps with us today!

 
I am entering my card into the following challenges:

36 comments:

Chrissy said...

What a great tutorial Mary J ..hang on....mine just rolled into the kitchen....got it! You did say gently loosen it, I let go..lol..I need practise. Gorgeous card Hun! lovely image, fabulous colouring, and papers.Perfect match.
Luv CHRISSYxx

Unknown said...

Hi hun... i had wondered how people made the flowers...love them.. and your card is just so pretty hun xx

heidy said...

Those 2 cards are gorgeous as always Mary J,I like your style!
Hugs heidy

cowboydutrem said...

I just love your card. Thanks for the rolled rose tutorial, it really seems simple! Love how you made the leaves too...

Vicky said...

Hi sweetie this sure is a gorgeous gorgeous card love the image she is so pretty. I luuurrrvvve the flowers I've got the other marianne die the squigly one....thats my technical term lol I love 'em but always forget about them lol. Fab tute.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Pöydän kulmalla näpertelijä said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've tried the Sizzix ones but didn't have the patience to learn how to roll them properly. My only question is how do you fit these in an envelope?
Your card today is absolutely beautiful! The image is so sweet and I love the dp with the flowers and the lace ribbon.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh how beautiful Mary J. Love the colors and the flowers your created. Awesome "How to" Gorgeous coloring and design!
hugs,
Chris

Pöydän kulmalla näpertelijä said...

Re: Lili. Yes I did!!! Lucky me!

SemSee said...

Gorgeous card and great tute Mary! Thank you! I have that set of dies, but didn't know if I was rolling them the right way. I wasn't, LOL! But now, thanks to you, I am and they look so much better! Thank you!! Hugs, Sem x

Alexandra Lundgren said...

beautiful! Love the flowers and paper choices, but the decorating the inside and border additions top it all off to perfection!

Crystal said...

Oh my Goodness Mary, what a GORGEOUS job you did with this beauty, absolutely love your coloring and your colors are STUNNING!!!!!! LOVE LOVE your flowers and thanks for the tut girl, you rock!!!!!! :))) Hugs!

coops said...

fabulous card mary,the image is fab and sassy and i love your gorgeous colours and rolled flowers.
thanks for sharing your brilliant tut :D

xx coops xx

Lisa Jane said...

Fab tutorial - gorgeous card - love the colours and papers
Lisa x

Jayne A said...

Your card is stunning. I just love the paper roses.

Jayne
x

Cindy Haffner said...

FAB FAB FABULOUS!!~

Sally said...

Gorgeous card Mary. Love how you make different size cards, mine are almost all square.....note to self to try something different. Thanks for the tutorial, I have one of the dies but didn't get chance to play with it yet. Off for a walk along the beach...
Hugs Sally :) xxx

Nikbee said...

A gorgeous card. I love the papers and the image is lovely. The flower tutorial is fab too. Now, I just need to get a die cutting machine and dies!
Nikki x

Pami said...

Gorgeous card Mary and a great tutorial. I am fine doing the rolled flowers but I find the roses a little more difficult! P x

Kathleen said...

This is a fantastic card Mary, I love it. Will be trying out the flowers as I have had the die's for quite sometime and not got round to them yet!!
Took a look at Quixotic Paperie and bought full set of Bakers twine, was impressed and a free little gift to boot, will be shopping there again. Thanks.

Kath x

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a lovely card! And I love your flowers!

Danni said...

Gorgeous!! You are just a rockstar!! and I'm one of your biggest fans!!
Love the tutorial...am thinking I'll try it with my MFT dies which are similar...
Awesome!

SARA said...

beautiful card thank tiu for tutorial :) ♡ hugs

Anita said...

Beautiful card Mary J. Love your tutorial. That die definitely looks like it would be easier to roll those flowers than the MFT die.

Amanda R said...

Wonderful card and great tutorial Mary! I make my flowers by begging my overseas friends to send me some Ha Ha! Thanks for playing along at Paper Sundaes!

Julie said...

A gorgeous card. Thanks for the flower tutorial, your flowers look really good.
Julie W x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card Mary, love the colours and thanks for the tutorial, hopefully I will be able to get mine to work now!
Helen x

Fabiola said...

merci pour ce joli tuto, tes fleurs sont toujours absolument superbes et ta carte est comme toujours une vrai beautée, biz

Michele Roos said...

Such a gorgeous card. Love the image and the colours. Thanks for joining us this week at PFP. Hugs Michele x

Renkata said...

Such a gorgeous card mary.
love your tutorial dear.

Sandy said...

Love the sweet girl image and your fab flowers, A beautiful card.
Sandy

Fiona said...

thyis is so pretty Mary J...fsb colouring and fabby flowers!! THanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week.

Fi
x

cebelica said...

Awesome card! I love all the details, really pretty. And thanks for showing us how to make thos flowers. Great tutorial! I'll definitely try to make those flowers myself. :)

Thanks for joining us at MMCS challenges this week! :)

Hugs!

Nic aka The Sticky Elf said...

Dab tutorial Mary. I never thought to use a paintbrush for rolling flowers. Will definitely give it a go.
Nxxx

Pam Sparks said...

Lovely Mary! Pretty image and papers and I love these kind of flowers too! TFS!

Wishcraft said...

Beautiful card. Love the image and gorgeous flowers. Thanks for joining us at PFP :o) Lisa x

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

Are you going all soft and frilly on me? That's OK. You do soft and frilly very well. Thanks for the flower tutorial.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin